All Parents and Guardians are welcome to attend any and all Stonecrest Council meetings. Please join us! Listen to updates from the Principal and teachers, share your experiences and suggestions, sign up for Committees or initiatives where you would like to make a difference. Join us once a year or as your schedule allows.
Today, you are invited to go one step further, and become a voting member of Council. Have a say in what council does (which fundraising activities, which health initiatives, what to invest in, etc.). All we ask is that you commit to engaging, in exchange for the privilege of a vote. Engagement can take all forms, such as volunteering to take a few shifts to distribute Hot Lunch or Milk, organizing a fundraiser like selling hockey tickets, assisting at an SESC event like Family Movie Night, helping assist with our Resource Library, coordinating a guest speaker or being Council Treasurer or even Chair. Every little effort enhances our children’s lives and experiences at Stonecrest.
To become a voting member of council for 2018-19, please complete the Pledge Form below. Return it to the school or email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 pm on Tuesday, October 9, 2018. You may also nominate someone else, with their permission, but they must sign the Pledge Form.
Once all forms have been received, the New Council is formed and the new ‘18/’19 SESC Executive is chosen from amongst members. There are numerous positions to choose from, with specific responsibilities and areas of interest / engagement. The Executive, without which the Council cannot be formed (as per the SES/C Constitution), must consist of:
- Chair and Vice-Chair or two Co-Chairs – sets agendas, chair meetings, maintain communication with Council members and School Principal/Admin
- Treasurer – keeps accurate records of school council finances as well as its policies and procedures
- Secretary – prepares and shares meeting minutes
- Fundraiser Coordinator – coordinates initiatives (but not necessarily organizes or implements them)
Additional roles available on Council include:
- Daily Drinks/Hot Lunch Coordinator – communicates with vendors and manages orders
- Website Manager – keeps website current with meeting minutes, events etc.
- OCASC (Ottawa Carleton Assembly of School Councils) – attend off site monthly meetings to keep Council abreast of what other school councils are doing, issues raised, etc.
- Volunteer Coordinator – posts tasks on our volunteer site SignUp.com and manages volunteers for various activities including the Daily Drinks / Hot Lunch programs
- Communications Officer – compiles newsletters and other forms of public relations
- Officer positions are also available for Division Representatives (primary, junior, intermediate) and Education Officer, to advocate for age or curriculum specific issues
- Member at Large – Leading various specific projects or initiatives (i.e. Family Dance, Summer Send-Off, Parent Resource Library, Lost and Found etc.)
Your Pledge/voting membership = Your completed and submitted Nomination Form to 2018-19 Stonecrest Elementary School Council (SESC)
As a voting parent/guardian representative member of the 2018-19 Stonecrest Elementary School Council, I commit to:
- Engage: options include volunteer for council activities, participate on a SESC Committee / Initiative, accept an Officer position, assist an Officer with a project, attend council meetings.
- Read the Council Constitution and abide by its Code of Ethics; be a council member who will positively impact the learning environment of students at Stonecrest and ensure my actions and decisions reflect that priority.
For complete details regarding SES Council, its mandate, roles and responsibilities etc, please review the SESC Constitution on the Council website www.stonecrestcouncil.ca.
Join us on Oct. 9th at 6:30pm and have your voice heard this year to work together to prepare our children for their futures. Please forward your Pledge form (or any questions you may have regarding this process) to email@example.com or hand in at the Stonecrest Main Office.
We hope to see you soon!
Your 2017-18 outgoing Council